Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat had an injection given to me after ligaments operated

My cat had an injection given to me after ligaments operated on. My dog has just been spayed can I give her the same injection. I can't remember what it was called but I think it was morphine based.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I can understand your concern for Tess especially if she seems to be uncomfortable post surgery. However, it wouldn't be advisable to give her a drug which was dispensed for your cat for a number of reasons: 1. It's quite possible that Tess received an injection of an nsaid such as Rimadyl during or after her surgery. Every vet is different but our patients are frequently given such medication to help control their post-op pain.If she was given such an injection, you might be double dosing her which would be put her at risk for development of gastric ulceration.2. We don't typically mix and match nsaid's. What I mean by that is that a patient wouldn't be given Rimadyl one day and Metacam the next. A washout period of at least several days or even up to a week in some cases is advised when switching from one nsaid to another.3. Without knowing the exact name of the drug given to your cat nor the concentration (mgs per ml), the appropriate dose for Tess can't be determined.Unfortunately, there are too many inherent risks involved in giving Tess this drug and I wouldn't advise it. However, is Tramadol or Gabapentin were dispensed for her and/or you have access to these drugs, it may be possible to increase her dose if I know her weight or to start her on one of these medications since they are safe to give with nsaids.I realize that my answer may not be what you want to hear but I would be doing a disservice to both you and Tess if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you. I hope you understand that the potential risks far outweigh the potential benefits for her.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. And, best of luck with Tess. Kind regards, Deb