Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 14 year old cat has a eye ulcer...it was diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi, my 14 year old cat has a nasty eye ulcer...it was diagnosed last week and they stitched his 3rd eye lid over as a temp fix. He has had blood tests and has thyroid problems and something on his kidneys but they not sure what unless we have more tests. He is still eating and purring although he does seem in a little bit of pain today. It sounds awful but we can not afford the £1000+ they have quoted for his eye operation. I am feeling awful but don't know if it would be kinder to put him to sleep even though it would break my heart? Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Franklin. I'm so very sorry you're going through this very difficult ordeal and decision making. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Good. Glad you're there. This sounds like a really difficult situation and my heart goes out to you. Over the years I've had many tough conversations with clients going through similar things. I want you to know you have options, however. (Typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The unfortunate thing in Franklin's case is that he has multiple problems. Either one alone (thyroid disease and the eye ulcer) is already fairly complicated to manage, but the two together make things even harder. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
When I talk to my clients in situations like this, I want to be sure we have a very open discussion about the options for treatment. I rely on the owner being frank with me about what their budget will allow. Doing so helps me prioritize my recommendations. It also helps me point them in the direction of financial assistance with vet bills, if that happens to be an option. Then we work together to develop the best plan for their pet in their unique situation. There are THREE different treatment options to choose from for feline hyperthyroidism, and a multitude of treatment options for a nasty corneal ulcer. A good vet will work with you to make the best treatment plan within your budget. Yes, it's true that the option of euthanasia may be on the table for dear *****lin because of his advanced age, multiple problems, and difficult solutions. Rest assured that even though it's heart breaking to consider, sometimes it really *is* in the pet's best interest. Again, determining his plan will best be accomplished by having a frank discussion with your vet. You should not feel "bullied" into only one treatment option. Does this help to answer your question?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I want to be as helpful as I possibly can, because I understand what a difficult situation this is. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. Without a positive rating from you, the website keeps your entire deposit and I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may help so I may have the opportunity to earn your good rating.Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
If it would be helpful, I can provide a link to a webpage that discusses the different treatment options for feline thyroid disease. One moment...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have told the vet we have used all our savings (we have paid £530) already but they don't seem to have any cheaper options for his eye. An initial consult with their eye specialist is £230. They don't seem to want to consider putting Franklin down (I would rather he was with me as well). Maybe I need to have another chat with the vet?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Here's the link... http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=515&SourceID=I know this may sound brutal, but it's not uncommon in the case of a really severe corneal ulcer with financial constraints to surgically remove the eye. It's not expensive and heals more quickly than a stubborn ulcer. I don't mean to horrify you by mentioning that option, because it can be a valid one. I think it's also important to remember that no matter what you do to fix Franklin's eye, he's going to continue to have additional problems and get sicker without treatment for his thyroid disease. It won't do to address only one problem at a time. Unfortunately, that also swings the pendulum back towards the idea of euthanasia if attempting to manage his multiple problems is not a reasonable thing within the budget. I wish I had better news for you...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
But, yes... Have another chat with the vet. Don't let them make you feel bad about your financial limitations, and try to keep focused on the big picture of Franklin's long term prognosis. Then you'll know you're doing the best for him that you possibly can. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I hope this new day has brought some progress towards relief for you and Franklin. I've been thinking about you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am talking him to the vet on Thursday to have his eye reassessed and then we have agreed if the drops etc aren't improving it we will probably have to put him to sleep. He has started being sick which isn't a good sign. Poor boy. Thank you for your thoughts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help and care.
Franklin was put to sleep this morning. At least he isn't in pain anymore