Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

There,I have 3 cats - 2 of which we have had

Customer Question

Hi there, I have 3 cats - 2 of which we have had for over 3 years the other we got a year ago. We have had others in between short term, but my main worry is that Juju and Ciara (a boy and a girl approx. 7 yrs old) both have had urinary infections for about 4 months. Our vet has done all of the tests and says it must be stress related. Our newest cat - Jazzy who we got about a year ago had huge gastro problems which are now under control (it took about 6 months to get it sorted - she is now on 1/2 steroid tablet every few days) Juju and Ciara have been on noroclav on and off, but the samples go from showing blood in urine to just white blood cells. We have lots of litter trays as advised and none of them pee or poop outside of them. They all still groom and have great appetites, but Juju goes to the tray more than normal and just pees a little bit. We have feliway plug-ins in the main rooms in the house but nothing seems to be working. I think our Vet is struggling to find a cause. Can you help????

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.Urinary problems in cats can be very frustrating. Most of time there is not any actual bladder infection present... just inflammation with red blood cells and white blood cells. Has your veterinarian actually found bacteria or just the blood/inflamed urine?One of the most effective ways to prevent episode of bladder inflammation like you are describing is with diet. Have you tried any of the prescription urinary diets? They really do work well. The other dietary change that can really help is to increase water consumption... often with canned food. Have you tried these things? Sometimes the pheromone spray "feliway' can help too. Have you tried this? I would say about 85% of my 'irritable bladder' or 'stress bladder' cats can be fixed with diet and feliway so I would start with that.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My vet already has juju on hills/ royal canin as h as struvite problems......we have feliway in 2 of the main rooms in the house where all cats go..... am looking for more???

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Okay... so you have the basics covered, but I do have a few questions. Are you using the hills and royal canin diets both? I would use one only. They work differently and using them together is not going to work right. Do you know if the urine specific gravity is dilute (less than 1.035) on the diet? If not, then there is more to do on the diet front... maybe canned food and sticking to one brand only. If it is dilute and you are still having trouble then it may be all stress. Sometimes changing the stress and dynamics of a cat environment is hard (short of moving or giving away a cat that they don't get along with) Sometimes impossible. I often start with medical therapy... Such as prozac. And at the same time try to minimize any stress. If they are doing well you can sometimes wean them to a very low dose of the prozac.