Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We all ready have a cat in the house which we have had for

Customer Question

hi we all ready have a cat in the house which we have had for three years and we have now got another one, what advice can you give to us to let them both get on
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. First of all, congratulations on the newest member of the family. I've felt for a long time that every home with one cat should have two (or more!) but there are some things you can do which should facilitate the integration process of a new cat into a household with an existing one. There are numerous articles on the internet about introducing a new cat into the household of existing cats but the one thing they have in common is that time and patience is needed. This is an article (LINK) that I like a lot which describes the process in detail.I would advise you to completely separate the new cat as the article recommends into his/her own room, with his/her own food/water, litterbox and toys. Your cat will know there's a new cat in the house but you don't want to force him/her to accept this new addition until he/she is ready.This process can take up to a month in some cases or sometimes even longer (or shorter depending on the personalities of the cats involved). If you take it slower, then they may not be best friends (although that's obviously the goal), but at least you should be able to avoid hostilities.But, having said that, some cats simply cannot get along regardless of what you do (very similar to humans!). I hope that this is not the case, but at least wanted to mention the possibility. You might also consider use of a product called Feliway, a natural pheromone, which is intended to reduce stress and anxiety. It's available on the internet and most pet stores (at least here in the States) as a diffuser or spray or a collar that the cat wears.There is another oral product called Composure Chews (Vetriscience) which may also be useful for some cats if tasty treats are eaten. In most cases, if you don't rush the process but use a cat's natural curiosity against them and follow a few common sense guidelines, then the integration process will go pretty smoothly. I hope this helps and that it works out with them. Deb