How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 10967
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. John is online now

I've used a spot on flea treatment on my cats and after

Resolved Question:

Hi, I've used a spot on flea treatment on my cats and after 72 hours there seems to be as many fleas and they seem just as active.
We've treated our house too with a flea treatment. And washed and vacuumed all our soft furnishing. My cats are indoor cats and we waited 48 hrs after intial treatment to bathe them.
Can I use flea tablets on them now, if not how long do I have to wait until the next treatment?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I hate to tell you, but once you have a flea population established, it may take you 2-3 months to get them under control. You will not see them automatically disappear once the flea preventative is applied. Those medications are meant to prevent flea infestations, not treat for them. Plus, it is not a good idea to bathe them so soon after application. You will most likely wash it off. It is better to bathe a day or 2 before application. If you used a flea and tick shampoo, it most likely inactivated the Frontline anyway. An mild oatmeal based shampoo is all I would use before application. The fleas that you see on the cats are only 5% of the flea population. The other 95% are in the environment in the immature forms. You will never see them. So, treating the yard and home is key. It sounds like you have already treated the house, but I would treat the yard as well because those fleas are coming from outside. Vacuuming is good, but make sure you empty the vacuum inside, or you may release more flea eggs back into the environment. Vacuum often. In severe infestations, you may need to treat the yard and home a month later. Because you have to break the flea life cycle, you may still see some for 2-3 months. Trying to get rid of a flea infestation is much harder than preventing one. Frontline is starting to fall out of favor because it doesn't seem to be lasting more than 2-3 weeks anymore. The oral preventatives are much better at killing the fleas and breaking the life cycle. I would wait about a week after giving the Frontline to give the oral preventative. That is just a precaution, though. In many cases, you probably won't see any interaction between the two. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Dr. John and 3 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you