Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Cat was hit by a car a week ago. Gradually recovering. Walking,

Customer Question

Cat was hit by a car a week ago. Gradually recovering. Walking, eating, cleaning, urinating, stretching forward though not easily backwards but not defecating after 3 days reasonable eating. Resists catching to bring to the vet as she is semi-feral. Haven't seen her trying to defecate. Is there anything we can do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The primary concern here would be that she has sustained a broken pelvis. If that is the case, if it is displaced enough, it can obstruct the colon. If obstructed, she would have to be sedated with a manual evacuation of the colon and possible resetting of the pelvic fracture. There is really no other way around that. If that is not the case, you can try a couple things. You can get some Laxatone for her to take in orally to see if it will lubricate the bowels to move better. Adding fiber to the diet may help the bowels to move better as well. A teaspoon of either pure canned pumpkin or Metamucil with each meal will suffice. Milk can also loosen the stools in some cats. It may cause diarrhea, but at least she would be defecating. There is not much else beyond that. If possible, I would really try to get her to a vet. Fecal obstructions in cats can get severe and make them very ill. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Could the fact that her back legs are moving ok mean that the pelvis might not be broken?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
It is a good sign but not necessarily the case. If she was unable to walk very well at all initially and just recently getting better, a pelvic fracture just may be healing on its own, which is often the case in cats, but it can still be displaced enough to cause problems. If she was walking well from the start, it would be less likely that the pelvis was broken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. We are worried, - could we cause damage while catching her? She will certainly resist.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. If she has a fecal impaction, it can cause damage to her colon and induce an issue called megacolon which can be life threatening.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry. I misread that last question. Unless you are being very rough with her, you probably won't cause much damage to her trying to catch her. If she freaks out and runs and jumps everywhere, she could injure herself further.