Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cats behaviour has changed she is eleven, she has become very re

Customer Question

Hi my cats behaviour has changed she is eleven, she has become very restless can't stay on my lap and I notice her back is twitching, she is also grooming a lot, on top of that I notice some pyjamas of mine were very damp when I got home from
Work and wonder if she has had an accident, though she uses the cat flap and has a litter tray
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who practices exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm really sorry to hear that Britney hasn't been herself - I'll do my best to help. When I hear of cats who are grooming excessively and generally restless, one of the first things I consider is an itching problem. Commonly, fleas and allergies can both cause a cat to become severely itchy. Fleas can cause severe itching all over and be very difficult to spot unless you know exactly how to search for them with a flea comb. The twitching back is also very common with fleas, as their crawling around causes the cat to itch and twitch. Allergies to either foods or things in the environment like pollens and dusts can also cause significant itching that can look just like a flea issue. While getting rid of fleas is typically easy with good quality flea preventive products, allergies (especially to pollens or dusts) can be a problem that cannot be cured, but needs to be managed life long. If you think that the wet spot was urine, that's entirely possible. Cats who are very itchy or ill in any other way will often urinate inappropriately. This is a very vague sypmtom, though, meaning that it's not really indicative of any one disease in particular. What I would suggest is that you take her to your vet at your soonest convenience to have her looked over for fleas, signs of allergies or skin infections, and also to possibly run some senior blood work on her. Urinating inappropriately is also a frequent complaint by owners of kitties with diabetes, kidney disease, and hyperthyroidism. These diseases can be diagnosed with senior blood work done by your veterinarian and managed with medications or dietary treatment. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)