Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a kitten I adopted yesterday. She was born on the

Hi, I have a kitten I adopted yesterday. She was born on the 6th of September 2015.
Yesterday she seemed fine, but this morning she started having diarrhoea, she didn't eat much and slept basically all day.
Should I be worried?...
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello Giorgia, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question about your kitten and am working on it now. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr Scott,email will work just fine.
Thank you for your help.Giorgia
Hello again Giorgia Sorry to hear that Rosie has a problem, should you be worried? Probably not, but see my fuller answer below 1. Of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have her checked over by your vet without delay. However where a kitten comes into a new home gastroenteritis in various forms is not at all unusual. This may be due to a change of food and environment and perhaps stress from being in unfamiliar surroundings. If this is the cause of what you are seeing then luckily it is often self limiting as the kitten settles in to her new home, and it can often be resolved by common sense means. In fact many of my clients tried variations of the following on a self treatment basis and reported success :A. Starve her for 12 hours but make sure she has access to water and is taking it regularly, { Resting the stomach is the critical factor } it is important she does not get dehydrated.B. The next day feed her four or five very small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she pick up on this diet then gradually reintroduce to a commercial cat diet suitable for her age group. Feeding adult cat food to kittens can precipitate gastroenteritis by the way.2. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance. you do not need to give much, a teaspoon full twice a day is fine for the average kitten in Rosie's age group.Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if you note any deterioration then you should have Rosie checked over by a vet just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Scott,I will follow your advice.Sincerely, Giorgia
Hello again Giorgia, No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Rosie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, *****