Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 18 year old cat

Customer Question

my 18 year old cat seems to be drinking a lot of water and weeing more tham usual. Is it just her age or could it be symptoms of ssomething else
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I am very glad that you have picked up on Chic's signs. These are not age related but instead increased thirst and urination (often with dilute urine) are signs we often see with a range of conditions. Specifically, we can see this with kidney disease, liver disease, heart issues, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism. It can also be associated with systemic and bladder infections, though for the latter alone the cats usually pass frequent small volumes of urine as opposed to going more.
With all this in mind, it would be ideal to have her checked by her vet at this point before any other signs can arise. If she is due for a vaccination soon, you could move it up a wee bit early and have her checked out at that time. The vet will be able to have a feel of her and just make sure there are no sinister lumps and bumps, can check her heart +/- check a blood sample to assess her organ health and pinpoint which of the above is present.
Alternatively, if you want to take things a bit slower or aren't keen to see the vet yet, you can consider first submitting a urine sample to your vet. Often we can obtain a ‘donation’ if the kitty is left overnight in a non-carpeted room with an empty litter box. The vet will be able to analyze it and determine if there is anything abnormal. They will be able to appreciate changes to the urine's white blood cell content (a marker of infection and common with diabetes), the presence of glucose/ketones (markers of diabetes) and bilirubin (a sign of liver disease). Furthermore, the vet will be able to check the urine's specific gravity, which tells us if the kidneys are concentrating the urine properly (since dilute urine is seen with kidney disease). Overall, this is quite a cheap and non-invasive means of checking if some of these could be affecting her. Depending on what is found, this can tell you if one of these issues are affecting her or whether we can rule them out right off the bat. (Though do note that with hyperthyroidism, we can only test via blood sample since the hormone doesn't enter the urine).
Overall, Chic's signs are not normal for her age. They instead are suggestive of one of the above concerns. Therefore, you are right to be wary of these signs and it would be ideal to have her checked to determine which is present here so that we can treat it as effectively as possible for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very concerned that you have taken an insecure payment from my credit card ie. not authorised by my bank which all payments by this card usually are. I am also concerned that you have registered me for monthly payments without any authorisation. I find your practices very unusual if not illegal and sm considering reporting them to trading standards. I would like you to refund my payment and give an assurance that my credit card details have been removed from your records.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for an answer!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
As I am sure you can appreciate, I am a veterinary surgeon and any payments are taken via the website. I am actually only credited with aiding you with Chic once you leave feed back. Therefore, any charge concerns needs to be via Customer Service @ http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Please take care,
Dr. B.