Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat who is 11 was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid last year

Customer Question

Hi, my cat who is 11 was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid last year as she was very skinny with a fast heart beat. She is now on 1 tablet of 15mg vidalta each day. She has now returned to that cat i know. Less vocal, better coat, weight increase and generally looks really well. My question is if I continue her on this tablet rather than surgery will this be ok? The vet says it is fine but i have read lots of stories about the lump getting really big. Can you advise your thoughts?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I am glad to hear that she has responded well to the Vidalta. Now in regards ***** ***** question, the vast majority of thyroids do not get bigger (especially when treated) and rarely do those that do get large enough to cause problems. This is because most cases of hyperthyroidism is not due to a cancerous thyroid but instead a benign adenoma. So, it causes the disease we know but little local change. In fact, the vast majority of cats with this condition are treated with tablets for life and do really well. Therefore, we'd not advocate surgery unless she was an impossible to tablet cat or you wished for her to have it. So, overall, it is absolutely fine to have her on tablets for good (or even try the Hills Y/D diet for thyroid kitties) and not have this surgically removed. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )