Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Female cat, 4 years old, ate a bitter almond biscuit (Amoretto)

Female cat, 4 years old, ate a bitter almond biscuit (Amoretto) sometime during Monday night. Vomited all day Tuesday, went to vet on Wednesday and had an anti-vomiting injection. Blood tests etc. showed nothing untoward. She has been drinking plenty water but eating nothing and not peeing. She has just vomited up all the water she has drunk. I shall take her back to the vet to-morrow morning but is there anything else I can do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your cat. I can understand how frustrated and very worried you must be. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I have an answer to my question please?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Glad to know you're there. I'm typing in your answer now...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
When a pet is unable to keep water down without vomiting, I'm afraid there is very little you can do at home. The most important thing to do is to restrict her to absolutely NO access to anything at all to eat or drink. This is important for two basic reasons:The presence of any food or water can perpetuate vomiting under some circumstances, making the pet sickerShe is (as you've realized) unable to put any food or water to use anyway, as long as she's vomiting so severely. I would advise confining her to a small room or carrier with no food or water, just a comfortable bed and litter box. You'll want to be able to report all urination, defecation, and vomiting to the vet when you get her there. It goes without saying that she needs to see the vet as soon as this is possible. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm relieved to hear her bloodwork showed nothing untoward. That means it's unlikely we have to worry about things like liver disease, kidney disease, adrenal disease, or other metabolic concerns being the cause of the vomiting. Unfortunately, since she failed to respond to conservative treatment, it's also apparent that this is something more than just a run-of-the-mill upset stomach. Possibilities include:pancreatitisdietary intolerance or sensitivityexposure to some sort of toxina gastro-intestinal foreign body or obstructionother GI diseases: inflammatory bowel disease, torsion, and even tumorsI wish I had better news for you, and I wish there was more you could do for her at home. Unfortunately, that simply isn't the case. She needs aggressive medical diagnostics and care.Does this help to answer your question today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that pretty well covers everything. I'm afraid bitter almonds contain cyanide which could be what's making her ill. I've removed the water and will run to the vet in the morning. Thank you again, Patricia
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a good plan. I'll be hopeful she has a speedy recovery. Best of luck to you both. Thank you.