Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat was sick after having her food this morning.She hasn't

My cat was sick after having her food this morning.She hasn't eaten since not wanting her food.She is now urging and brining up froth.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little one Millie isn't feeling herself today, vomiting her food and now froth, and no appetite.Vomiting froth simply is a mix of air and stomach/esophageal mucous made when she retches, it is not indicative of any disease process but tells us she is quite nauseous.Is she running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F)?Does she have a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure on her belly with your hands?Vomiting and nausea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating something she should not (like a piece of a toy or string), inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut, an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract or an abdominal mass. To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds (2 to 4.54 kilograms) of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds (2 to 4.54 kilograms) of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. Either one can be given for several days if needed. I would wait to feed her any food for a good 12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or clear broths like low salt chicken broth offered frequently a few hours after giving one of the acid reducers are fine as she needs fluids. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, though most cats don't like the taste. After her food fast offer her a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. Once she feels better (no retching for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.If Millie is continuing to vomit, runs a fever or has a tense painful abdomen and is feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration. Best of luck with Millie, please let me know if you have any further questions.