Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

14 month old cat. Gone from going out bringing in leaves everyday

14 month old cat. Gone from going out bringing in leaves everyday to only going out once or twice a day to back yard very slowly, eating very little (but she never really ate much at each sitting only a few mouth full ' s) sleeps a most all day. Not that reactive to name or food. She is struggling to climb up onto the sofa or bed and wobbles slightly on her back end when walking...she shows no sign of being in pain and still loves to sit on me to keep a bit warm. I thought she may have had some sort of poisoning but she's getting no better but no worse either any advice please thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
How long has she been showing these signs?
Is she drinking?
Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was very bad on Thursday all she would do was lie on me she didn't purr just slept wouldn't walk around at all...
I know their not meant to but she is lapping milk semi skinned from my glass in the morning this is normal routine. We haven't seen her drink water but we never have
She isn't doing any signs of being sick retching or diarrhea at all
Her gums are clean but on the pale side but not white
She will let us rub her belly she has always liked this she is showing no pain at all.
She has just stopped being her loud going out all day cat bring me gifts leaves and things she just I suppose has gone within herself feels a little cold and all the other cats her 2 siblings and 2 others are not messing around her they seem to know she's not well if you get my meaning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
First, the milk is no worry. The only reason its not encouraged is because it can cause diarrhea in cats. So, if it was all she would drink, then its fine for the short term.
Next, I would note that her remaining indoors is not unexpected. It is a common feature of cats not feeling well as they retreat to "safety" when the are too poorly to pretend all is well. This is a left over instinct from their wild prey days.
Anyway, the main concern here is that lethargy and appetite loss. Even without vomiting, we often see appetite loss due to nausea. Though unfortunately it can be a feature in young cats for a range of reasons. Common causes for this type of presentation are bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretions, or ingestion of something harmful.
With these all in mind, we do need to tread with care. This is because cats are poorly designed to be off food and doing so for more then a day or so can lead to secondary fatty liver syndrome. And that can make getting her back to eating even more difficult.
Therefore, we'd want to at least consider some supportive care at this point. To start, since nausea is suspect, we could try her with an antacid. Now we are a bit limited in OTC options for cats, but you could try her with a small dose of Calcium Carbonate (60mg every 12 hours) or Milk of Magnesia (0.25 tsp every 8 hours). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to easy her upset stomach.
As well, you will want continue to try and see if you can get her eating (ideally once the antacid settles her stomach). Favourite foods are allowed as you have but also consider tempting her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) You can offer small frequent meals for her to discourage further GI upset.
Further to this, if tempting doesn’t work, then we do sometimes need to syringe feeding to get food in. If she has only been off her food for a short term, you can hold off a day or two. Though if you do need to syringe food, then you can use Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or Clinicare liquid diet. All are OTC at your vets and can be a means of getting food, staving off hepatic lipidosis, and buying you time to uncover the reason for her anorexia and lethargy.
Finally, just since drinking is important as well for her, you can try her with water flavored with low salt chicken broth or even the milk (lactose free is preferable). That way we can at least try to stave off dehydration for Jaffa.
Overall, when a cat is anorexic, it can mean a wide range of underlying issues. Therefore, if you try the above and do not see improvement in 12-24 hours or Jaffa worsens, then you do want to get her vet involved at that stage. They can assess her hydration, check her signs of any sinister lumps/bumps or internal issues. As long as no foreign items are suspected, they can also cover her with antibiotics, anti-nausea/vomiting medication by injection +/- appetite stimulating drugs if necessary. Depending on the findings, the vet will be able advise you on what is likely our culprit and what can be done to help get her back to eating as she should.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank this helps alot and we will make time to get her to a vet. We have just moved home so are not attached to a surgery but will sort this out in means to your reply...
Thank you again Karen and Jaffa
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Karen.
I do think that is best for wee Jaffa to just get this nipped in the bud for her. If you do need to find a vet local to you, you can do so using the RCVS database @ http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/
Take care,
Dr. B.