Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Our persian cat vomited yesterday .She was crying a lot .There

Customer Question

Our persian cat vomited yesterday .She was crying a lot .There is a very bad smell from her rear end.She won't come out from under the settee.Shes been there for 24 hours without food or drink
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.I am so sorry to hear about Mitzy....she probably has a hair mass that is causing the vomiting and the odor from her rear could be from her anal glands. These are glands on either side of her anus and when she is stressed, they will release this very bad odor fluid. It appears to me that sweet Mitzy has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down her digestive tract to come out her mouth but it is still causing nausea. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone or Petromalt at the local pet store. Give 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. YOu will have to move her out from under the bed and place her somewhere where you can monitor her. If she is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through the digestive tract and she will be fine. Keep her on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again. If she is still vomiting, you will have to have your vet examine your sweet Mitzy to be sure we have not missed something. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****