Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has been to the vet this week... my cat has

Customer Question

Hi my cat has been to the vet this week... Hi my cat has been to the vet this week twice as shes been having trouble going to the bathroom, shes fine with weeing its just the other one.. the vets cleared out her anal glands both times she went as the first
time she was quite swollen.. but the 2nd time she went they said the anal glands werent that bad. the vets gave me noroclav 50mg to give her 1.5 tablets twice a day and they also gave me laxatives, but tonight she managed to go toilet but it was like diarrhea
nothing wrong with it though, she also had a bit of gas but i think its just because she had her anal glands empted this week twice.. but is the diarrhea due to the medication or laxitives? I was planning on not giving her anymore laxatives anyway as shes
been on them for 2 days now. also should i give her some rice and chicken to settle her stomach? or maybe i need to stop giving her noroclav as that might be giving her diarrhea too..
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
My initial response to you appears to have disappeared. Here's what I posted: "It would be prudent to stop administering both laxatives and that antibiotic - both of which can cause the diarrhea you're seeing. A bland diet of chicken breast (sans skin) and white rice is reasonable but more important when we want to settle the upper GI tract rather than the lower which appears to be the problematic area in Tillie. Can you tell me, please, if Tillie were proven to be constipated by her being palpated (felt) or X-rayed? It's not unusual to assume that straining to defecate indicates constipation when, instead, it's actually being caused by irritation in the lower bowl which then is evidenced by diarrhea. (Please contact***@******.*** to make sure that you don't get charged twice for a duplicate post.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if she was xray'd I just know that they cleared her out both times at the vets and emptied her anal glands but they said the 2nd time we went that the area wasnt swollen anymore and then they gave me the medication and laxatives and told me to give them to her twice a day, so are you saying i should stop giving them her now? both of them the noroclav and laxatives? or should i just stop the laxatives? she doesnt seem to be in any pain and she acts perfectly normal. playing with her brother and running around like nothings happening to her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and its only today she has started having diarrhea.
Yes, please stop both. I don't see an indication for Noroclav and it's well-known to cause gastrointestinal distress. A laxative doesn't make sense when diarrhea is present. We might consider chronic laxative administration (with lactulose, e.g.) if we can confirm that Tillie suffers from chronic constipation but that hasn't been established as yet...and hopefully will never do so. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ah yes I just read online that a side effect of Noroclav is diarrhea. makes sense, I will let you know if anything changes :) thanks so much for your help so far. I'll be keeping an eye on her tonight, shall I still give her the rice and chicken as I'm in the process of cooking it now? ha
Sure, she'll probably dive into it. In fact, I'm coming over too. Oh, wait a minute, I think it's far too long a swim from California. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.