Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat is 8yr old tom he has FIV he's been diagnosed a few

my cat is 8yr old tom he has FIV he's been diagnosed a few years ago but lately his haw haws r there all the time is the anything I can do or get him just that I don't have much money to take vets all the time and I can't take him Pdsa cos I work
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm here to help, although I'm not sure that I understand your question fully. When you say "his haw haws r there all the time" - what exactly are you referring to? Can you describe this better for me or send a picture? Thanks in advance :) I'll reply with more info as soon as I can after receiving your reply.~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's his eyes the whites I would have sent pic but he sleeps all day he looks like he's half aslee
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean that his third eyelids are raised and partially covering his eyes? Does he have runny nose, a cough, sneezes, or nasal congestion? How is his appetite?Thanks~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but he is not eaten as much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes his third eyelid
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply - that's very helpful. Raised third eyelids is frequently an early symptom of an upper respiratory infection. These are usually viral and cats with FIV are much more susceptible to infections of all sorts because their immune systems are compromised. Because of this, I'm concerned that you're seeing the early symptoms of something that would be better treated early than waiting until things get worse. The most common viral infection in kitties is the herpes virus, which can sometimes be managed with oral lysine supplements, which can be purchased from your vet or at the pet store. It's definitely not a cure all, but it can help if this is early herpes, which is a common issue. I know that this isn't what you really want to hear, but aside from that, the best thing to do would be to have your guy examined by the vet just in case he needs an antibiotic. Let me know how else I can help~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.