Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 1yr old Bengal boy has terribly waxy ears. The wax can

Customer Question

My 1yr old Bengal boy has terribly waxy ears. The wax can be quite wet at times but dries to a brown colour. Is there something I can buy to help this. My vet gave me drops "Auricon" , but they are for dogs and when I challenged this I had to sign a disclaimer. Therefore I have lost a bit of confidence
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I know what it's like to have your confidence rattled. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am here
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Great! I've got some information I'm happy to pass along to you...(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Excessively waxy ears can cause some pretty serious problems, so an ounce of prevention is certainly worth more than a pound of cure. The favored treatment for this type of problem in a purebred cat's ears would be DOUXO physostigmine drops. I'll find you a link...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/douxo-seborrhea-spot-on.html
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is a prescription product, but I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for an OTC product that is likely to be both safe and effective for the situation you are describing. I'm sorry your first vet didn't know about this product.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what might be the cause of this? Something underlying? Like a food allergy? He is VERY greedy
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Causes of excessive wax production (cerumin) in a cat can include:genetic predispositionunderlying allergy, both food or inhalantIn Vincent's case, both may be involved.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Allergies are so frequently implicated that many feline vets will also try steroids to manage a case a of severe waxy buildup. It works on both fronts: relieving allergic symptoms AND helping reduce and clear the wax.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Does this help to answer your question today? I know how hard it can be to find vets who are experienced with purebred cats in some locations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the UK. Can I get it here? And what should I say to my vet in order for him to prescribe it to me?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I would advise showing your vet the drug information page I sent you the link to and asking him/her what kind of product they have that's similar to this. I know the DOUXO part of the product is proprietary, so this manufacturer is the only one who makes the particular product. The physostigmine part, however, is not proprietary, and there should be a variety of equivalent products available in the UK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for your help. I'll get on to it tomorrow.
Susan
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Anything ceruminolytic should work. That's another key word you can use with your vet. As you already observed, it's best to stick with something that's labeled for use in cats. I would expect there to be a lot of choices for your vet, and the only reason to go with something labeled for dogs is if there isn't a cat product available.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
You bet. I'm happy to help. I would be inclined to think that addressing underlying allergies will be the real key to success for Vincent.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.(rating option enabled)
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am going to have him referred, to investigate for allergies. I just want him to have some relief from this wax just now which I am sure is causing him discomfort.
Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. It's my pleasure. Best of luck to you and Vincent.