Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

I would like some advice about my cat if possible

Hello I would like some advice about my cat if possible
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian. Myself or one of the other vet's hopefully will be able to help out. If I can help, I will. If I feel the nature of the question may be out of my area of focus, then I will open it up to the others. Can you tell me what your questions are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello my cat is suffering with a runny nose and he is very down but all my other cats are fine and he is still eating and drinking
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. I need to get a little more history. He's 2 years old again. How long have you had him? Is he strictly indoors? How long has the runny nose been present? Is it snotty or clear? Is it from both nostrils?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he is 2 they are all indoor
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to be asking a few more questions. How long have you had him? How long has the runny nose been present? Is it snotty or clear? Is it from both nostrils?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is more the right nostral ane he has bin this way for two days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The snot is clear
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Is he sneezing? Has he ever had an upper respiratory infection before? How long have you had him? Any new additions to the house as far as cats?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he is sneezing and no he has never had anything rong before
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Have you had him since he was a kitten? Any new cats in the household in the past couple weeks / month?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have had him since he was 6 months
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Do you feel he's eating a decent amount of food? Is he drinking ok? Is he urinating normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we have had no one else and he is weeing and pooping fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could it be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering all those questions. With the sneezing and the clear discharge, it would seem suspect for a feline upper respiratory infection. They can get viral upper respiratory infections that can look very much like this. For the most part, these infections are viral but some can get secondary bacterial components to them. Some may not be able to fight off a viral / bacterial infection as well as others if they have underlying immune deficiencies from a viral infection like FELV or FIV. In situations with upper respiratory infections, a lot will get over the infection on their own with time, rest, and good nutrition. Here is a good link on it.http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=613
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for my delay as I was typing. I'm not the fastest typer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you do I need to take him to the vets or will he be ok
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
It would be the best to have him checked over by your vet to make sure that nothing else seems to be going on. They could also feel that a course of antibiotics is needed depending on what they find. Some owners in your situation would take the wait and see approach.