Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 12 year old cat was very sick at 6pm last night. I think

My 12 year old cat was very sick at 6pm last night. I think some different food I gave her has disagreed with her. I Starved her overnight but when I gave her a small amount of dried food this morning, she bought it straight back up. Should I give her more time to recover or seek vets advice? She is drinking water. Is there something more suitable than dried food I should give her?
Added concern is a vet said a few years ago she has asthma although she has had no issues or symptoms with this since. Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Was the new food a sudden change or had she been weaned over to it?
Had she eaten any of this quicker then usual?
Can she keep the water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Any chance Marmite could have eaten anything else (ie bones, chemicals, plants, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hadn't been weaned so it was a sudden change. She had got bored of her current food. She did eat it quickly as I think she enjoyed the change.
She is keeping water down and her gums look normal. It's difficult to tell about her tummy as she doesn't really like it being touched normally.
There's no chance she could have eaten anything as she is a house cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now we do always need to tread with care in these situations. Cats are not a species we want to starve for very long, as we can end up with secondary fatty liver issues. As well, since this was a quick change, we do have to be a wee bit wary of possible secondary pancreatitis from this.
In any case, for the moment, you can rest her stomach another few hours. As long as she remains settled, then do offer a small meal (Spoonful to start) of a light diet option. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or an OTC easily digestible diet (ie Hills I/D, Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal) from her vet. Whichever you choose, if she can keep that spoonful down for 30 minutes, you can give a bit more and slowly work her back up to normal meals sizes. Afterwards, we'd slowly wean her back to the new diet over a day or two.
Finally, just to note, since this is dry, we'd want to offer smaller more frequent meals to reduce the kibble expansion distending the stomach and making her prone to vomiting). Or if she seems prone to this, then canned food diets can be a better option since they are already hydrated and not going to expand once in the stomach.
Overall, it does sound like the new diet has unsettled her stomach but if she did eat quickly, she didn't help herself there either. Therefore, try a bit more rest and then offer one of those light diet options as small meals over today. As long as she settles, we are happy. Of course, if she cannot keep those down, then we'd want a check with her vet to make sure the food isn't a red herring and something else is going on. But if she does settle, we can then slowly wean her back onto the dry in smaller portions or try her with a canned food diet.
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I Will try her on some scrabbled egg/ chicken in a while and if no joy, I will take her to a vet. She is at least very settled in herself and purring away next to me so fingers crossed. Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
That sounds like a perfect plan of action and hopefully we can just get that stomach settled and back on track.
All the best,
Dr. B.