Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat of 13 years passed away last Thursday. She had over

Customer Question

Hi, My cat of 13 years passed away last Thursday. She had over active thyroids.
She was diagnosed about a year ago and despite trying her on tablets in every kind of food possible she just wouldn't eat the food.
My vet advised about a special diet but admitted she hadn't had a cat take to it. I found out about an ear gel few about a month ago but my vet said it not available in this country.
After I persisted she found one place she could order from but it was £108pm which I couldn't afford.
I got Bonnie when she was 4 years old from someone in my town. When I collected her I wasn't given any paperwork, food, bedding so was a bit suspicious.
My questions as follows:
From day I got her she always wee and pooed on bed, sofa anywhere soft despite having litter tray. What could be reason for this?
The previous owners told me she was four years old could she have been older?
Why was she always a very nervous cat? Could she have been born with Thyroid problems and only diagnosed when she was 12?
What eventually killed her? She looked like she was dreaming, laying down twitching but when I went to her, her eyes open, non responsive and dribble down side of face
Would she have been in pain or aware what was happening?
How long from diagnosis to passing away if condition isn't managed and would she have suffered badly this last year?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. First, without paperwork, she may have been an older cat. Though if you had her for 9 years, then probably not much more than you were told.Now in regards ***** ***** litter box issues and her nervousness, these were likely behavioural. It may have been that the previous owners didn't socialize her properly or that living with them left her agitated such that these behaviors were habits for her. So, that would be our main suspicions for those signs.Now in regards ***** ***** thyroid disease, it is unlikely she was born with this. Typically, hyperthyroidism starts in older age. Though while this likely was something that only appeared in her later life, I would note that it is likely what indirectly caused her death. It would not have been painful for her but if she wasn't a very stable patient, then the thyroid disease would have been causing changes to her heart. Specifically, since the heart beats too fast with the condition, it would have caused thickening of the heart wall leading to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. In regards ***** ***** frame for this, it can vary from months to years depending on the severity of their thyroid issue. In any case, this would have put her at high risk of heart failure leading to her throwing a fatal clot or having an episode akin to a heart attack. And since these tend to cause sudden and quick signs, cats that develop this often don't have time to appreciate they are passing away and therefore do so without pain or suffering. So, she likely didn't know and wasn't painful when she passed.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank-you for your quick response. Bonnie did go off her food the day before so guess she must have been feeling unwell. If the condition was managed how much longer would she have lived for and what would have been her quality of life in that period. Im guessing as she was only a few months without medication that her condition was quite serious.I could feel sides of her neck felt like protruding veins and day before she passed felt a nodule on left side of neck. Is hyperthyroidism a very uncomfortable condition generally for them??Makes perfect sense what you say about her toilet behaviour being a habit due to being agitated with previous owners as she was a very small cat and they had a large dog which was one of the reasons they got rid of her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
Appetite loss is very much a sign of cats feeling unwell, so it would have been a subtle clue here. And the clues would have been subtle, since neither thyroid disease nor the secondary heart issues are painful or uncomfortable. They are just energy draining for kitties and often can leave them weak, lethargic, and often sleeping more.
Now in regards ***** ***** prognosis if her condition had been stable, these cats can do well for months to years with this condition. But without stabilization and with a fast progressing thyroid issue, then we may have only gotten months for her. So, unfortunately her condition was working against us here. Still, she thankfully would not been painful with this or her passing.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )