Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 14 year old ragdoll cat has started coming back from the

My 14 year old ragdoll cat has started coming back from the litter tray with urine over her rear and legs. She has always been a very clean cat but over the past week or so it seems to be happening regularly. She has arthritis which we treat with glucosamine & chondroitin and asthma for which the vet gives her occasional steroid and antibiotic injections.
Could you please tell me the likely cause and what I can do about it?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is she on steroids currently?Does she appear to be passing more urine then usual?Any dribbling, accidents, straining, or passing small amounts of urine?Does her urine look more concentrated or watery/dilute then usual?Has she been drinking more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her eating & drinking seem normal as do her toilet habits. Nothing unusual. But my wife thinks she saw Daisy sitting, rather than squatting in the litter tray this morning. I haven't noticed any peculiarities as she walks but wonder if the arthritis could be affecting her ability to flex.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now in Daisy's situation, we do have a few potential causes for her signs. Now your wife's observations do fit with the most common reason for this type of situation. This is because we can see progressing arthritis causing bother (potentially with the cooler weather) +/- secondary muscle strain cause these kinds of signs. Both changes to their litter box positioning but also their reluctance to stretch and clean these harder to reach areas. And just to note, we often see litter box issues as an early stage sign, even before we see changes to jumping and their gait.
Otherwise, if she had been passing more urine (potentially related to the steroids or organ issues) or dribbling urine (again something we can see with steroids but also with bladder infections), those too could cause the signs we are seeing
With this all in mind, since she is already on 2 joint supplements, we will be a bit limited with what we can do at home. First, I would just note that the dose for each is 50mg glucosamine + 15mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, do make sure she is on that level. Further to that, you could consider adding in fish oil (omega 3+ 6) to her supportive care. This is a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce inflammation in sore joints. Typically, we will give 90 mg EPA and 60 mg DHA per 5lbs of body weight. So, this too would be something to consider for her.
As well, since the chill can stiffen the joints such that we have these situations, you may also want to give her access to a heating pad or heated cat bed. This will let her keep those joints warm, supple, and hopefully reduce her discomfort in the box. As well, the use of low lipped litter boxes and fine litter (ie sand, paper based, etc) can be better for cats that are struggling in the box.
Finally, if she continues with this despite home care, we'd want to speak to her vet about cat safe anti-inflammatories like Metacam (since human ones are cat toxic). This can reduce joint soreness and be very beneficial in helping out older cats keep up their normal habits in the box and grooming-wise despite age and joint troubles creeping in.
All the best for Daisy & happy holidays,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.