Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

There, my cat has been sick 3 times in the past 7 days

Customer Question

Hello there, my cat has been sick 3 times in the past 7 days and recently the last time she was sick, this morning, she was crying out very loud then tried to eat some off it, I don't think she was quiet meowing, is she ok? what can I do to look after her? ive kepted her warm and just given her dry food and fresh water the past few days.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Rosie. Because vomiting is such a nonspecific symptom of illness in cat, it will be very difficult for me to give you a prognosis for her. It can arise after a simple dietary indiscretion such as ingesting something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or even a non-food item. It can arise secondary to more serious disorders such as trichobezoars (dangerous hairballs), pancreatitis, and inflammatory bowel disease. There are really too many possible etiologies of vomiting to list in this venue.You're necessarily constrained by how much you can do at home. You can keep her diet as constant as possible. If you just bought a new bag or canned food and vomiting began after you offered it to Rosie, those foods should be discarded. They may have been too heavily bacterially contaminated. You can adminster the antacid PepcidTwo at a dose of 0.5 mg/kg once daily of the famotidine in that product. It should afford Rosie some comfort after such vomiting episodes. Finally, and most importantly, it would be prudent to have Rosie's vet take a look at her if vomiting continued to be a problem. A thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests plus X-rays or ultrasound of her abdomen will be considered by her vet.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why was she crying/screeching after the last time she was sick? is this because she was in pain? I've changed her food so much from sardines to cat food in a pouch so I'm unsure what to feed her next and stick to. I didn't think nothing of it until she started crying out
Yes, pain is the likely culprit for her vocalizing. There's no reason to be considering special diets at this time and so I would pick a high quality commercial cat food that she has favored in the past and stick with it for a week. Stop treats and any people foods during this "test period". If she continued to vomit in spite of her diet staying so constant, a vet visit should be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have fled my cat a week earlier than usual because I was concerned she had flee's again.. could the sickness mean shesv overdosing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can I do for her if so?
Please tell me which flea product you administered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
frontline, 0.5ml
Frontline shouldn't be incriminated. Even when ingested at doses equal to 20 pipettes cats showed no adverse reactions beyond drooling and occasional vomiting.
I marked your new question as a duplicate so you wouldn't be charged twice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello there again, I have given Rosie her 1st batch of wet food tonight. (Wainwrights) 1/2 the pouch and she was vocalizing again plus it came back up! do you suggest I take her to the vets in the morning instead of waiting a week on a constant diet like you suggested? She has lost weight (as expected) but is fine with dry cat biscuits. Thanks for all your help Dr Salkin, I hope you receive this soon.
Can you restrict Rosie to balanced cat biscuits? If preventing her vomiting is as easy as not feeding wet food, I would take advantage of that fact and see how she does with a week's worth of only dry food. I'm sorry for the delay. I was out and about. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 1 week if she hasn't been sick should I consider wet food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything at home I can make for her in the future as ive been looking at other people's questions and vets have recommended rice and warm chicken, not that there cats have been vomiting.
You can certainly test wet food at that point. Chicken breast (sans skin) and white rice is a protypical bland diet. I would have no reservations having you see how it affects Rosie but keep in mind that it's not a completely balanced diet and should be fed for no more than a week unless she's also eating her well-tolerated biscuits.