Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

I am looking after a 12yr old tom cat. He is quite distressed

I am looking after a 12yr old tom cat. He is quite distressed when urinating. Some blood is evident in the urine. I think he has a UTI. Do I need to get him seen today. Or can it wait till the local vet is open on boxing day?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear this is going on with Simon.With the symptoms you are describing, I would highly recommend getting him examined as soon as you can. Abnormal urination can go along with a few things, including a UTI, bladder stones, cystitis (inflammation in the bladder), or a urinary blockage (can be a partial blockage where they are still passing some urine). All of these can be quite painful. If there is a urinary blockage (even a partial blockage), things can turn serious quickly. So, for these reasons, it would be best if you can get him into a veterinarian today.You can read more about abnormal urination in cats HERE. I hope this helps.Dr. Dave