Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Good morning. How much do you charge service?

Good morning. How much do you charge for this service?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. My 11-year old car has become suddenly lethargic. He was fine last night. This morning he has hardly moved, he has not eaten. He is very healthy, his fur is soft and until yesterday he was just fine. Only this morning he is very sleepy, not hungry and I am worried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is urgent
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on what has been listed for your question, the cost will be approximately £12. If this is acceptable, can you tell me:
Has he had any gagging, retching, lip licking, or vomiting?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
Any changes to his breathing, stools, or urinary habits?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomit, no gagging, no retching.
His gums are fine
A bit of heavy breathing, he has not urinated today but went briefly to the garden and did his business there. He urinated fine in his litter yesterday. I do not believe he has aen anything he shouldn't. We are very careful. He eats as good as it looks for senior cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was just fine last night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not touched his food. I touched his tummy and he did not react.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Would you usually expect him to pass urine by this point of the day?
Since you noted we have heavy breathing, can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call ***********
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I am very sorry to say that I cannot offer a phone call service this morning. Therefore, please let me know the answers to the above or if you would prefer me to opt out in case a colleague can ring you now.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He breathed 5 times in 10 seconds, by six is 30
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fine. As I said, we counted 5 breaths in 10 seconds, by 6 is 30
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond to my comment.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
First, I am glad to hear that his breathing rate is only 30bpm, as this is normal for a cat at rest. And if his gums are nice and pink, that also supports normal oxygenation (which is important to confirm since respiratory distress can be a subtle reason for cats to refuse food).
With that aside, his not having urinary issues (where blockage is one of our few kitty emergencies) and since you noted no congestion, we'd be more suspicious of lethargy and appetite decline being related to an underlying nausea. And this can be triggered by GI infections, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretions or be secondary to ongoing organ/metabolic issues in the older cat.
With those in mind, we can try some supportive care to see if we can tempt him to eat. To start, you can try tempting him with a light diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk) or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these is that they are all light on the stomach and often something we can get cats with mild signs to eat.
As well, you can try him with a small dose (60mg) of OTC calcium carbonate to settle his stomach. Cats are too small to use other over the counter antacids, but this is an option to help soothe his stomach.
Overall, his signs are most suspicious of nausea. If he hasn't been vomiting, straining/unable to urinate, and is breathing within this range, then this is not an urgent situation. Therefore, we can monitor and use the above to see if we can get him eating. Of course, if he doesn't perk up over the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want a check with his vet to make sure we dont' have a brewing GI bug and so that we can get him started on injectable anti-nausea medications and antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back to eating properly for us.
All the best,
Dr. B.
PS- Please know that you are blocking my replies when you post multiple answers, hence my wee delay.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I will follow your advice. I will go back to you if I need to.RegardsJavier
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Javier.All the best for your lad,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Happy New year.