Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I'm hoping to get a rag doll cat next week, my adult daughter

Customer Question

I'm hoping to get a rag doll cat next week, my adult daughter is allergic whats the best thing I can do to help her is a male or female cat less allergic than another
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am glad to hear you are thinking of a new cat! My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The protein in cat fur that most people are allergic to is common to both male and female cats, so it does not matter if you get a male or a female. If your daughter lives with you, the cat should not be allowed into the room where she sleeps. I have been told by an expert in human respiratory diseases that the protein that causes people to have allergies to cats is from the anal glands. The cat grooms and spreads small amounts of anal gland secretions over their bodies, and when their hair and dander get into the environment, that is what people react to when they are allergic. So, if you have a cat's anal glands surgically removed, it will be a hypoallergenic cat. Both male and females have these glands; they are the same in all cats so the sex of the cat won't matter. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Please post your questions here.
Removing anal glands is not that difficult, but there are possible complications and risks. You should have it done by a surgery specialist or by a veterinarian who has done many of these procedures. There will be some post op pain and swelling.
Let me know what else I can answer. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I helped you today. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if this was helpful, and if I can answer anything else.
Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I helped you today.