Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We went away weeks and our cat hardly ate now after

Customer Question

Hi we went away for 2 weeks and our cat hardly ate now after a few weeks all he does is spend most of his time at the neighbours sleeping hardly eats and licks their gas fire logs all the time.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
Has he been drinking? More or less then before?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Any diarrhea? What color are his stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so to any of those questions I just know he used to eat loads and now hardly anything just sleeps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just think it strange about licking the gas fire logs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
One more quick question, how old is he?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 13 -14
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
our neighbours looked after him for 2 weeks which they usually do but now he is reluctant to leave their house and he used to be a really active cat and they don't feed him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now the gas fire licking isn't such a strange thing to see. Instead, its often a clue for us. This is because cats that are anemic (have a low red blood cell volume) and those that are nauseous notoriously will lick or even eat odd items.
Now with his lack of other signs to support nausea and with his age, I'd be wary to whether he has anemia here. Severe cases can cause paling of the gums, can reduce their activity (as they try to keep their oxygen use down since there are less red blood cells to carry oxygen around the body), and some will also show elevations in breathing rates.
In regards ***** ***** we can see this with traumas or immune rupture of red blood cells; but at his age we could also be seeing this related to chronic inflammation or secondary to other health issues (ie kidney or thyroid disease).
With this in mind, we need to be proactive here. It'd be ideal to have him checked +/- a blood sample tested by his local vet. They can determine if we have anemia and what is causing it. Depending on their findings, we may need that initial trigger addressed or nausea if that is confirmed with their examination.
Finally, since he is eating a bit but not much, you can try to get more nutrition in per bite by using a nutrient rich diet. To do so, you can offer OTC Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, Clincare, or even kitten food. All have more nutrition per bite and can at least get some calories/protein into him even if we cannot get much in. And that way we can try to slow that wasting until we can get him checked for those above concerns.
Please take care
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.