Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My7 week old kittens have runny eyes and today, I noticed that

Customer Question

My7 week old kittens have runny eyes and today, I noticed that two of them have small cloud spots on their eyes. I am really worried. I have washed out their eyes with salt cool boiled water, give them eye drops consisting ofHypromellose 0.3% w/v, boraz, benzalkonium chloride 0.01% w/v, boric acid, sodium chloride and purified water. I have also given them cornea repair drops today. I am really concerned that the cloud spots will impair their vision long term, or will this disappear after I see the vets again. Kind Regards Kim
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kittens. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The cloudiness could be infection, or fluid in the corneas due to inflammation. These can get better with time. The cloudiness could be scars, which will be permanent. I would try to get some Terramycin ( available over the counter in most states but not California) and use it twice daily in the eyes until your vet can check them. Terramycin will reduce inflammation in the eyes and is also an antibiotic that is safe to use in kittens. Let me know what else I can answer or help with, and how they are doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the medication I am using at now the wrong medication. Shall I stop using it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried I am doing more harm than good putting the current medication in their eyes.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The cool salt water would be fine, if the salt content is around 1 teaspoon per pint of water. I would choose Terramycin over the eye drops you are using, but until you can get some Terramycin, those drops should be fine. I would not use more than 1 drop twice daily in kittens.
I probably would not use the corneal repair drops myself.
Let me know how the kitten are doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I helped you today. You can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating! Please do let me know how the kittens are.