Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My mom's cat keeps vomiting, but after extensive tests our

Customer Question

my mom's cat keeps vomiting, but after extensive tests our vet cannot find anything physically wrong with him, and says it might be down to stress and his enviroment.
He is an indoor cat, and always has been, my mom moved to her current residence over two years ago and he has been fine apart from the odd occasion but recently his vomiting has become more frequent.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with George. When diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests have revealed nothing untoward and hypoallergenic food trials haven't been helpful, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is the most common diagnosis made in these vomiting cats. An abdominal ultrasound should be performed and can "see" the tell-tale inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract typical of IBD. It can also "see" IBD's sequela of small cell lymphoma as well as other disorders of the GI tract. If such a diagnostic can't be performed, presumptive therapy for IBD is reasonable and would consist of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone +/- the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole. The response to therapy can be quite rapid and gratifying. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.