Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am seeing a lot of flea dirt when my cat lies on things.

hello I am seeing a lot of flea dirt when my cat lies on things. I think it may be old dirt as she has been treated twice and I comb every day (getting either nothing or one or two small fleas) any advice?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. If you are combing her everyday and used Frontline specifically (a product we are seeing flea resistance to more and more), then I'd be wary of a new infestation. This is because you should be seeing a reduction in flea dirt with your diligent combing (which usually will remove it all within a few days). And to not see that plus a few fleas here and there tells us that there is input from new fleas. So, the Frontline may be keeping them from hanging around her long, but if we see continuous flea dirt without reduction, then its very suspicious that the Frontline is letting us down and that we'd be best to treat with a newer alternative (ie Advocate, Activyl, Advantage II, etc). And since she has seen her vet recently, as long as they have a recent weight, they should be able to provide these alternatives for Minnie. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate me afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )