Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 1 and a half year old cat hasn't eaten since Thursday

Hi my 1 and a half year old cat hasn't eaten since Thursday which I'm so worried about. He is losing weight my local vets not open, I have put water, milk and even food but he just stiffs it and turns his head away,
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has he been retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?
Will he drink at all? Does he keep down what you syringed?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Any breathing changes or straining to pass urine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He takes some in. He does move away when I check his tummy, he did eat my son's nerf gun bullets, no sickness or gagging or only licks his lips after I've given him so milk or water, his gums like pink but also white
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He took a Toliet yesterday afternoon not anything since he is normally a lively cat so I know something ain't right with him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
First, if this wee lad has eaten a nerf bullets, these are large enough to cause a blockage which could certainly cause the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we do need to tread with care here.
Otherwise, just to note, anorexia of this nature in a young cat could also be triggered by bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and again ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).
With this all in mind, since we have a blockage concern, I do have to note that it would be ideal to have him seen at this stage. Especially if this has been going on since Thursday and because cats are not designed to be off food for this long (they can develop fatty liver disease if off food for more then a few days and that often makes getting them eating even more difficult).
Now I do appreciate that it is Sunday, but its worth noting that some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, even if they do not, they will have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/ ) who are open all nights/weekends. So, we do have options.
Otherwise, we will need to focus on supportive care until he can be seen. To do so, we can start by trying to address any nausea (the most common reason behind appetite loss in the cat). To do so, we can try a low dose of OTC calcium carbonate (60-120mg every 12 hours) or Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 8 hours). Each can help reduce nausea and could help us get him settled enough to eat. Of course, if he cannot keep these down, then that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.
If he keeps that down and steadies, then we can try him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). Though if he refuses to be tempted, then we may need to think about syringing more then just fluids. To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more into her per bite even if we cannot get much in..
Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).
Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but a Nerf bullet is a real worry of blockage. Therefore, it would be ideal to have him seen at this point since it has been going on too long already. Though if there is any delay in you having him checked, then the above can be tried. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there. Depending on their findings, his vet can address any blockage and/or treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication and antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the vets in my area closed at 12pm or 12:30pm, I thought it would of been something to do with the nerf bullet, and thought it could of been a blockage. And also I won't have the money for all the things he would need
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
All vets in this country are required to offer out of hours care, so they should still have a vet on call or a local ER that covers their patient's out of hours need. So, it is still worth a ring.
And I would note that it is worth seeing to this sooner rather then later, since if this nerf bullet is still in the stomach it may be something they can remove with their endoscope and be able to avoid surgery (which is more costly).
Finally, if cost is an issue, they should be able to give you a referral to the local RSPCA hospital or you may also be eligible for PDSA (if you are on housing/counsel benefits) to get this addressed for a reduced cost.
All the best, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got through to an emergency vets he has an appointment for 3:30pm so fingers crossed they will help many thanks for your advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
I do think that is for the best in this case.
Best wishes for you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.