Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat has been urinating on the sofa and today as I was cleaning

Customer Question

My cat has been urinating on the sofa and today as I was cleaning it up, the piece of kitchen roll I was using was red so I think my cat is passing blood, what could this mean? I intend to take him to the vets on Monday.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Marmalade. There actually could be several different explanations for the blood that you found when you cleaned up his urine: 1. He could have a urinary tract infection which is often the most common reason for bloody urine in a cat this age. If this is the problem, then antibiotics would need to be dispensed before improvement is seen.2. Bladder stones can present in a similar way. This problem could mimic a"simple" bladder infection but either the condition doesn't improve or recurs very quickly once antibiotics are stopped.Usually an x-ray or possibly an ultrasound would be needed to diagnose this problem and then surgery is usually the recommended treatment.3. Idiopathic (meaning we can't find an explanation for the problem) regardless of how hard we look. I know it probably doesn't seem logical but cats are unique in many ways and this is just one example. The patients will develop an irritated bladder such that they often inapproriate urinate and blood will be seen in their urine.Stress often plays a role in triggering an episode although it can sometimes be difficult to know what might stress out a cat. Even something as simple as a change in diet or change in weather or change in routine, etc. can trigger an episode.What you can do for Marmalade now would be to try and increase his fluid consumption which can help flush out his bladder. Cats don't tend to be big water drinkers but you could offer him low sodium chicken broth or a small amount of tuna or clam juice. Water fountains often also encourage water consumption which may be something to consider for the future if he appears to have recurrent issues (which is often the case with #3 above). I hope this helps at least to reassure you about the blood that you've found. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. And, best of luck with Marmalade. I hope you both have a good new year. Kind regards, Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on him and take him to the vets on Monday
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome.Deb