Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat had an eye removed 18 months ago and the wound kept

My cat had an eye removed 18 months ago and the wound kept coming undone in the corner next to her nose after her stitches were removed. Our vet decided to open the eye up again to make sure there was nothing left inside that was irritating her and causing her to rub the wound until it came open again. That was 12 days ago and she is due to have her stitches out on Monday but I have just noticed again that the wound might appear to be open again in the same place. It is difficult to see.
She does sneeze quite a lot and I'm wondering if it is this that is causing the wound to re-open. What can be done bout this? She is 4 years old and is playing and eating normally and is bright in herself. Surely there is something that can be done to permanently keep this wound closed. She is wearing a collar so that she can't touch the wound. Please help. I am desperate for help for her.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your questions, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I'm sorry that your cat is going through this. The honest answer is, if she is acting normally and the drainage coming out of the wound (if it opens back up) is clear or brown there isn't much that can be done. Eye removal surgery can commonly have the side effect of significant drainage as it heals. This is sometimes due to the way her body heals, sometimes a reaction to the normal stitches that are used to close the wound and often we just don't know why this discharge happens! It is very frustrating for Doctors, pet parents and pets alike! If the wound opens up that means the eye must drain and after the second surgery I generally don't close the wound, the drainage will stop but it can take weeks to months. I do think that the sneezing is likely due to the drainage coming from the eye to the duct that drains the eye to the nose (nasolacrimal duct). If this is a normal surgical complication (and it sounds like it) the only thing that is available is patience. Often repeat surgeries beyond what has been done will just delay complete healing even longer. I hope this helps, if not please feel fee to ask more questions, if it did please leave a rating. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no drainage now although on Christmas eve there was a brown discharge and this has cleared up
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I understand but the drainage is occurring it's just going down through the duct I mentioned causing the sneezing. If she sneezes to the point where she opens up the wound again, as long as the drainage is not green, yellow or red, then we should just be patient. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right ok. So do you think she will still have to wear the collar for quite some time then so that she doesn't open it up any more?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I personally don't think the collar needs to be on once the stitches are removed (assuming that your vet needs to remove stitches yet). At that point, since drainage is not really a problematic thing, (as long as it's not green, yellow or red) then no I don't think sh needs to collar. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bye
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good bye and don't forget to leave a rating.