Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have been feeding a stray cat few months now. He appetite

I have been feeding a stray cat for a few months now. He appetite has increased and it was pointed out to me that she might have worms. Is it possible to give her a safe medication in her food without bringing her in to be examined? I look forward to receiving your response.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If she is a young stray cat, then worms would be a real concern for this increased appetite (where metabolic disease or tumors would be more a risk of she was older). Though I do just need to note that if she is an unspayed female, pregnancy would be another concern for her appetite.
Now in regards ***** ***** her, you can choose to use an OTC wormer without having her examined. These can be purchased at pet stores, some grocery stores, and even online (ie Amazon). The only caveat is that you need to idea her weight so you don't over dose her. That said, most wormers for cats are designed to treat ranges (ie over and under 4kg). Therefore, as long as you have a rough idea of her weight, this is an option to treat against worms for her without risking harm.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )