Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 11 yr old ginger tom is constipated. ..can I give him seean

My 11 yr old ginger tom is constipated. ..can I give him seean tablet..have given him milk an butter an put valine on his bum..but not working..he eats dry and wet food an drinks plenty of water..This has never happened before. .pls help..
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Senna tablets is what I ment..not seen a.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry that Kaos is constipated although you might be surprised to hear that this is actually not an uncommon problem in older cats.Senna can be given to cats although it doesn't appear to be very effective from what I can tell. I researched a veterinary information database about it's use and there weren't too many rave reviews about it's use for this particular problem.In addition, the side effects which might be seen could include abdominal pain, distension, cramping, vomiting, in addition to diarrhea since it's a stimulant laxative and can be pretty irritating to the intestines. So, I wouldn't advocate its use for Kaos but I do have a few other suggestions which may be of benefit and which wouldn't be considered harmful. If he's not too terribly constipated, then oral laxative as listed below may be enough.1. Hairball laxatives such as Laxatone or Laxaire which are brand names but every pet or grain store will carry these products. I usually suggest 1-2 inches 2-3 times a day.2. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix) at a dose of 1/4-1/2 tsp per day.3. Over the counter, human Miralax at a dose of 1/8th-1/4th tsp daily which can be increased until soft stools are produced. However, if he's really constipated, then he may need an enema. Pediatric glycerin suppositories (http://pedia-lax.com/products/liquid-glycerin-suppositories) can be given to cats but you'll want to double check the label to insure that they don't contain phosphate (which can be toxic to cats).Another option would be if you have a syringe or small turkey baster, then you can also give him a warm water enema. Obviously, this is not for the fainthearted. I would lubricate the end of the syringe or baster with vaseline of KY jelly, gently insert into his rectum about 1 inch and gently squeeze the warm water into him.You may also need to repeat this procedure several times to loosen up the hard stool.Every step should be done gently so as not to hurt him. You'll probably want someone to help you since Kaos isn't likely to enjoy this procedure very much. I'd wrap him in a towel with only his rear end sticking out so that you can access his rectum. I hope this helps and that he receives relief soon. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
miralax ..are there generic versions of that called macrogol and movical..I have that in the house I'm pretty sure it's the same thing..going to look through my pharmaceutical book..but yr help would be apresheaited. .
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Macrogol is the same thing as Miralax and can be used in cats.I double checked about Movical and it looks to be the same thing as well. As I mentioned above, if Kaos is significantly constipated, then oral laxatives may not be enough but if he's still eating, then he may not be in too bad a way such that they will. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well dosed him with it in a bowl of milk..We will see what happens. .fingers crossed xxxxxx if nothing by tomorrow ..I'll come back to you..Thank you so much..
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome.I will keep all fingers and toes crossed that it's effective:) I'll look forward to an update about him tomorrow. Best of luck. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should I try the marcgol for before I take kaos to the vets. If it doesn't work tonight or tomorrow sud I take him Monday morning? .kaos is called kaos for a reason. .lol..he has to be knocked out just for a vet to examine him..The nurses are incapable of restraing him. .He is imfamous at my vets..
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back. As to the answer to your question, much depends on how long he's not had a bowel movement and whether he has other symptoms.For example, if he's only been constipated for 1-2 days, then you can wait to have him seen on Monday if he's otherwise acting his normal self but if he's been constipated for 4-5 days already, then I probably wouldn't wait. If he's not eating, is vomiting and/or lethargic, then I wouldn't wait until Monday either if at all possible regardless of how long he's been constipated.Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen him eat&drink up until this started today..He's definitely not himself..He keeps pursing his lips like when cats are 'flareing'..but then salivates hurendously then makes gagging sounds like he's going to throw up but doesn't. ..he's squatted in the litter box at least 20 times to no avail (so now also worrid he gunna strain sumfin)..but the last couple of goes he done..Hes done big farts .so hope in sumfin happening. .he looks vry vry sorry for himself..This all started bout 3ish this afternoon. .wouldn't say he's lethargic but is very quite ..For kaos away.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like he should be ok until Monday if you're not successful in getting him to defecate before then. I am assuming that he's urinating, correct? Because if he's not, then all this straining that he's doing could be because he has a urinary blockage. That would be considered a medical emergency...although I assume this is something that you'd know. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he's weeing ..up till this all started ..but since 3pm all he's eaten or drunk is butter..vry generous teaspoon full an 2 bowls of milk..1 with the marcgol in (also its proper milk not cat milk to give him the squits [dioreah] to help him along.) But kaos is renowned for having a vry sensative tummy..so dose my other cat Alaska who is a 'maine koon'..Theres only 2 cats foods they'll tolerate..1 type of dry food..proper milk normally big no no..fresh tuna or chicken..that's it..anyfin other than that an ill have sick..dioreah..An Alaska has massive alergic reaction an gets covered in the worst hives you have ever seen..An to be honest kaos bein kaos I can't get close enough to have a proper look..he'd go mental...but every time I've seen him in the tray I've checked after but he hasn't peed or done a poo since this started..I'll give you a up an update tomorrow. ..
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
That's great news that he's been urinating and it doesn't sound as if he's blocked but I just wanted to make sure. I'll look forward to an update tomorrow, then. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last few hrs he's deteriorated massively..he's now lathargic..he collapsed in an was whimpering so I've just taken him to the emergency vets..by the time they examined him he let them.. he's got massive blockage of blood in urinary tract..so ill let you know the outcome..I wanted to thank you for your invaluable help an advice..Dr deb u are my kaos' gurdian anglexxxxx XXXX
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Glad I coudl help but I'm so sorry that Kaos declined so quickly; however, I'm glad that you didn't wait to have him seen. I'll be sending positive thoughts his way and will look forward to updates when you have the time. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well he had a massive blockage...which they have sorted out an I have him hone. .he back 2 day for moor injections. .An was told to keep track of his weeing...but he's trying to wee but only spots come out so got feeling they might have to go back in to get sorted....I wanna thank you for makein me aware about the urine thing..I dread to think what could happen otherwise... your my kaos'gurdian ...anglexxxxx. ..I will let know what happens....
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you thought to ask you question on this site; I hate to think what shape he'd have been in if you'd waited to have him seen:(As long as he's producing urine, that's good although it's not uncommon for male cats to reblock after an initial event. So, he may very well need to be recatheterized. I know you'll be keeping an eagle eye on him. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vets were vry concerned how quickly kaos reblocked..so scanned him and they found a tuma that was the cause...no way of keeping it under control. .inoperable. .and he would be suffering &in pain to let it continue....so I had him put to sleep. .And I feel completely lost without him..But loved him 2 much to allow him to suffer..so he's now joined his other brothers who have passed away in heaven...I want to thank you for all yr advice an help..You were great ..An will request you for advice in the future...
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm so, so sorry to hear this; you must be absolutely devastated:(((( To lose him so quickly is heartbreaking but I do agree with your decision. Bladder tumors in cats are not usually ever a good diagnosis and I would have done the same thing if he were my cat. I know there's going to be a huge hole in your heart for a long time to come but I hope that with time, you'll be able to take comfort in the memory of his great spirit and of your loving bond. While I hope any other pets you have remain healthy, I'll be more than happy to help with any problems which might come up. Just include "For Dr. Deb only" at the beginning of your post so that others will not answer. My sincerest condolences to you at this sad time. Kindest regards, Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forever at peace....forever missed....forever loved...forever in my heart.....xxxx thank you for your kind words Dr deb...its apresheaited. ..
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Your words are a lovely tribute to him. Deb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I laid my kaos to rest tonight in my pet cemetery in my garden..and he's in eternal peace..and he's catching up with his brothers who had passed. .my minds at ease.....because of yr advice and help..There arnt words to express my gratitude for that peace of mind..Thank you. ..xxxxxx
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just so sorry that there wasn't more that could be done for your beloved Kaos. But at least he's running free and playing with his brothers ....and sharing stories about you, no doubt. At least that's how I like to think of the pets whom I've lost in the past.
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.