Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat stomach and rear legs are red and angry looking and

my cat stomach and rear legs are red and angry looking and the cat keeps licking and biting at them
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on your lad's signs, we'd be concerned that he has allergic dermatitis. This can often affect cats and be triggered by a range of agents (ie flea saliva, dietary proteins, sprays/powders/etc. in the house that his skin isn't used to). As well, if you are also seeing pimples/pustules, then we could also have a secondary infection making him even itchier.
In regards ***** ***** soothe his skin tonight, I would note that you can try him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 2-4mg every 12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Further to this, if he is chewing himself raw, then we may need to put an e-collar on him over this weekend. That way we can protect him from causing more damage to his skin. As well, if there are any open wounds, then we can salt water bathe these (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) lesions 2-3 days to help keep infection away and get them healing.
Overall, the signs you are reporting sound like an allergic dermatitis +/- with secondary bacterial infection. Therefore, we'd want to use the above to help soothe this and limit the risk of infection if its not present yet. If we do this and he settles, we are happy. But if his signs are too severe for antihistamines, then we'd want to plan to follow up with his local vet for them to assess this, start long acting injectable steroids +/- antibiotics to help get this skin inflammation settled for him.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )