Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is walking around sort of hunched over with her shoulder

my cat is walking around sort of hunched over with her shoulder blades up and she's making odd noises that she doesn't normally make kind of like a whimper. her back legs and tail flinch every now and then when she makes the noise. she has a history of asthma in her breed (pedigree bengal) but her sounds of discomfort don't sound like they normally do when she's had an asthma attack. she's also stretching herself out, dragging herself along the floor like she's trying to scratch herself.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Does her breathing rate look higher then 30 breaths per minute?
Has she been spayed?
Is she posturing with her forelimbs low and her bum in the air when she is down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her gums are dark pink, her breathing rate looks regular, I'm not sure what spaying is but i know she's due for a check up soon? and yes, she doesn't seem to want to sit on her bum even when she's lying down
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Spaying is neutering where the uterus is removed to prevent kittens. It is usually a surgery done at 6 months of age. Has she been neutered?
Is that a normal shade of pink for her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ah right, i believe she has been neutered but she's an indoor cat and the only other cat we have is her sister. she does try to eat out of the bin occasionally but we have a door on it now so she's less likely to have but its a possibility that she could have eaten something bad out of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't normally check her gum colour but their quite a bit darker than her sisters are
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now to hear that she has this type of behavior that can be distracted with food, I have to say that really sounds like an unneutered female cat in heat. They often cry, whimper, and posture low to the ground with their bums in the air while holding their tails to the side. Therefore, before we consider other issues (ie foreign bodies in the GI, etc), I would advise a peek at an example of a cat in heat @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQFB_Utuf0
Please let me know if this is similar to what you are seeing with your lass.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, this does look very similar to what she's doing, thanks a lot Dr. B. its relieving to know she doesn't have anything wrong with her :)
have a nice day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am glad that is all you are seeing here. Now it is no worry, but do make sure to keep any boy cats away. As well, do double check if she is neutered. If she isn't then we'd want to address that (otherwise you may see this behavior every 2 weeks). Or if she was supposedly done, we may have a situation where an ovary was left in by mistake and needs removing.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )