Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat got lost outside on a very cold evening/night, and

Customer Question

Hi. My cat got lost outside on a very cold evening/night, and was found in the middle of a field without any shelter - She is blind was not able to navigate very well. A few days after she showed symptoms of sickness. Lethargy, loss of appetite, weakness etc. I took her to the vet and he prescribed the antibiotic Ronaxan, but it seems now that her condition has worsened since I put her on the medicine - at least in some ways. I don't know if it may be doing her good in other ways - She is a bit more active, but has a very hard time swallowing even water - And I've had to force liquids in her to make sure she wasn't dehydrated. Should I continue with the medicine or should see if she gets better without it? Also it seems all her senses are weakened. She doesn't purr, and the first she's peeing outside of her litter (although still near the litter) - what could be causing this??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Are you giving her the antibiotic in a pill or liquid form?If in a pill form, are you following it with water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pill form - The first days just with a little water - but she would throw up 1 hour after. The last 2 days I've given it 1 hour after a small liquid meal, and together with some more liquid - Water and small meal (she's not able to eat much even in liquid form. The last 2 days she didn't throw up after the pill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to right in the first message: for the first TIME she's peeing outside of her litter....
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. Doxycycline pills can cause irritation to the esophagus if they are not properly swallowed by cats. With her hard time swallowing, I would be concerned about some issue in the esophagus. The lack of purring could just be due to her not feeling well. Usually cats purr when they are content. Some inflammation in the esophagus or throat. I would probably have your vet re-evaluate her before stopping any medication at this point, but if there is inflammation in the esophagus or nausea from the doxycycline (it can cause this), I would probably have your stop the medication for a couple days if Pikachu was my patient. Your vet may say the same thing, so I would check when them tomorrow. If she seems to get better after stopping, I would usually restart the medication at a lower dose. The urination outside the litter box could be due to stress and anxiety, but a urinary tract infection or a condition called Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD - often secondary to stress) are possible. For that reason, I would probably just have your vet re-evaluate her regardless to get a urine sample and check that out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you feel like all your questions were answered, please rate my service. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question. Do you think her condition could be fatal/ very serious?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
At this point, there is nothing to suggest that. If your vet hasn't ran any blood work, I would definitely pursue that, though. Blood work can give a lot of insight about any other potential complications to worry about.