Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 11 year old cat has lost weight more around his back end,

My 11 year old cat has lost weight more around his back end, he has been acting different and been very fussy with foods, he has had bloods done and all have come back fine - is this what happens when they get older
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he having difficulty jumping or is less active?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes he is less active, just slower but still going out and jumping up on the sofa, bed, window
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the fact that the weight loss is in the back end this means he is losing muscle mass. In other words, the muscles are becoming smaller because of a lack of activity. When this happens it is usually because the patient is less active as result of arthritis in the joints; likely the hip joint. Arthritis is generally seen in older patients.I would recommend you discuss with your vet about doing xrays to confirm that this is related to arthritis. In addition, consider starting him on prescription arthritis medication. Do not give over the counter anti inflammatory medications, they are all toxic to cats. In the meantime you can begin to supplement with Glucosamine (cosequin), this will help by promoting the production of joint fluid. You can buy Glucosamine (cosequin) over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose long term. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.