Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

We have a cat who is nearly three years old and has been a

we have a cat who is nearly three years old and has been a house cat we live on three floors and also the cat has an outside run he is male we have litter boxes on all floors and he has been using them all the time but the last couple of weeks when he trys to pass water he seems to sit for a long time and put his head up in the air and opens his mouth while he trys to pass water , but now he has started not to use his litter tray and pees on the carpet and are bed , I am worried he might have kidney problems or is he just being naughty,he is a Norwegian forest cat and we also have a female one who is about two years old and they get on well and sleep together , he has also gone of fish which he use to enjoy
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.Typically the cause of sudden decrease in using a litter box is a urinary tract infection. Cats who have been using a box properly that now urinates improperly often has discomfort in their bladder and the first clue is the longer time he was spending in the box trying to urinate, that is a classic sign of discomfort. The sudden stinging sensation that comes along with bladder infection/irritation causes a sudden need to urinate right away and often causes a cat to associate a painful bladder with the litter box. A quick urine test by the vet can determine if it's sterile inflammation, an infection or urinary crystals causing the problem and then prescribe the proper treatment. Once the discomfort goes away 95% of affected cats start using the litter box again right away. As long as he can urinate, even a couple of drops he doesn't need to see the emergency vet. However he should see his vet in the morning. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did please leave a rating.Dr. Dan