Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat wouldn't eat or do stools room her to vet she has two

My cat wouldn't eat or do stools room her to vet she has two days of iv drips 4lots of antibiotics been dewormed had appetite pulls twice told she has a slight infection was given diazepam due to stress and yet two days later still not good on her back legs sleeps appears ill not eati g no stools what do I do
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Sasha. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can see all you r writing
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Good. Glad you're there...(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you are going through a terrible ordeal with Sasha. I'm so sorry about that. I'm also sorry that she's not doing any better in spite of everything that's been done for her. My biggest concern is that there has been some kind of breakdown in communication between her vets and you. While diagnosing her problem and treating her is a very important part of your vet's job, it's not the whole job. Your vet also needs to tell you:what the diagnosis is how the treatment is supposed to helphow quickly the treatment should workwhat to do if the treatment isn't workingThose things have to be explained by your vet to your satisfaction, and if they are not, then you will need to keep asking questions until they are. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I know it's not exactly the answer you are looking for, but the most important thing for you to do in order to know:Why your cat isn't better yet, and...What you need to do to get your cat betteris to continue talking to and working with the vets who have been taking care of her.They're the only people at this point in time who know the answers to these things, because knowing those answers requires doing a hands-on physical examination of her and running all the necessary diagnostic tests. I'm happy to provide a second opinion on Sasha, but in order to do so, I would need to have access to her medical records and test results. At the very least I would need for you to tell me what her diagnosis and current treatment plan is.Does what I'm saying so far help you know what to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have done bloods and tell me her white cells are high and that is why they said she had an Infection but don't know where. My cat hasn't eaten for 11days and altho 5yrs still looks small and only eaten bits at vets via syringe and when she came from vets thur evening but nothing since. She appears all bone. I called them this morning but no room to c her today so Monday appt nut worry waiting might not be good for her
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This helps me give more information, thank you...(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It's very important to make sure they've tested her for FeLV and FIV. Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS. That could have an impact on if she will be able to get better. Also, when a cat - especially a heavier cat - is sick for any reason at all and stops eating, the lack of food can cause the liver to fail. That means even if the first illness is simple and easily treated, the cat could still end up dying because of the liver failure. In order to make sure that doesn't happen, the best thing to do is have a feeding tube put in. It's very difficult to syringe feed a cat enough food to prevent this from happening, so feeding tubes are a good idea. Do you get the feeling your cat is receiving good care? Is this vet comfortable with treating complicated cat diseases and on top of the most current types of treatment?(I know that can be hard to judge)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately inbeknowing to us before we took her we didn't know they have no overnight facilities which is why I had to bring her home between iv fluid drips over two days I wou kl d have presumed they might have done xray to c if something going on inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I wondered if the diazepam that gave her could be the reason as they said they gave her the maximum dosage they could
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Diazepam can cause a cat to move like a drunk person, yes, but it will not cause her to not eat.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It's too bad they don't have the capability to care for her overnight. In regards ***** ***** appropriate workup, I would have expected a vet to do the following tests:complete blood countbiochemistry panelFeLV and FIV testurinalysisabdominal x-rays
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No u have been more than helpful. Thank you very much
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm sorry you're in such a difficult and frustrating situation. I hope Sasha gets better quickly, and please do no be afraid to have a feeding tube put it... it really helps.