Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been tested . He has the swollen abodeom.

Customer Question

My cat has been tested for fip. He has the swollen abodeom. But when we got his results it came back saying he was positive in being exposed to the virus but the other 2 tests came back negative for him having fip! He has been given prilactone to help reduce his swelling but after reading up on this there is no mention of helping with swellings.. advice urgently needed!
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you tell me what color the fluid in his abdomen was?
Do you know the results of its analysis besides the specific FIP tests? If you have them on hand, can you post them for me to review?
What other tests have Sweep's vets done?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He had an x-ray which showed no blood but fluid, the fluid which was abstracted was yellow from what l was told.I got told he had no bacteria but on one of the tests he had high protein and a bit of blood in his urine.. not entirely sure what the tests were done. The vet keeps saying she is 90% certain he has fip but won't do any other tests.. I am seeing her on Wednesday as l am not happen with what is happening...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also I meant to add his heart was fine too
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Now diagnosing FIP is unfortunately a challenging situation for any vet and owner. This is because there is no single black and white FIP test that confirms the disease is present.
As you noted, Sweep's antibody titre was high but that only tells us that his body has met the coronavirus before. And as it is an endemic virus that most cats have been exposed to that isn't necessarily significant.
That said, we usually keep that in mind as we assess the other tests that we do as part of an FIP analysis profile. Commonly this will be the AGP (an inflammatory protein that is sky high in FIP cases) and also analysis of the fluid (to see if it is a characteristic modified transudate with a an appropriate protein and white cell ratio). And I have to note that if these were all non-suggestive of FIP, then I'd be concerned to call it such based on the antibody titre and yellow fluid alone. Because while the fluid is often yellow, sticky and viscous; that can also be seen in some liver issues or with some cancers in young cats.
Now just to comment on the current treatment, prilactone isn't a standard treatment for FIP but it is a diuretic used in heart disease (and in conditions with fluid build up) to try and remove fluid from the abdomen. So, its not part of the usual FIP treatment but it is a bit of symptomatic care to try to reduce Sweep's signs. In regards ***** ***** for FIP, I would advise a read of this page (http://www.dr-addie.com/treatmentprinter.html) to get a good idea of how we do treat FIP causes to try and allay their signs as best we can.
Overall, Sweep's signs are suggestive but if the other results are not fitting with this then we need to tread with care. Therefore, we may need to think about checking liver values if we have not already and an ultrasound would be a good non-invasive way to see into that poor abdomen and see more of what is going on (ie masses, liver issues, FIP suggestive granulomas on the tissues). Otherwise, if FIP is definitive here, then we'd want to consider a treatment plan like the one in the link above to give Sweep a chance here.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am unable to open the link to view the treatment
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
You are welcome,
Did you try copy/pasting the link into your browser? This interface won't let me directly link it for you.
Dr. B
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes l have managed to do it now! After reading it I'm surprise that Sweep isn't on this medication.. I'm bringing my appt for Sweep to tomorrow now as l will question it. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
You are very welcome,
Best wishes to you both,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
**Please remember to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)