Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat is 12 and is occasionally sick. She seems quite healthy

Customer Question

My cat is 12 and is occasionally sick. She seems quite healthy otherwise and is still playful. She doesn't eat much and grazes little and often. I find undigested biscuits and sometimes she brings up wet food as soon as she eats it. She has yearly check ups and inoculations. She is a very fussy eater. She occasionally has problems with ear mites. She goes out but not often as she doesn't like the cats that come into the garden.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Connie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is she losing weight? Any diarrhea? Vomiting in cats can be a sign of dozens of conditions; cats vomit with just about any disease or illness: parasites, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, heart disease, kidney disease, food allergy, infections, liver disease, skin disease (overgrooming), ulcers, stress and anxiety, hormone imbalances (adrenal glands, thyroid). Diagnosing a vomiting cat can be a challenge! I usually start with a hypoallergenic or limited ingredient diet. You can give famotidine if it is available over the counter there (it is in the US). 2.5 mg twice daily for vomiting. If the famotidine does not help, I would next do a thorough physical exam: palpate internal organs and lymph nodes, check pulses, see if there is any weight loss, listen with a stethoscope, feel the thyroid gland, etc. If there is any diarrhea, I would look at a sample under a microscope. Next I would do some basic blood tests to check organ and hormone function. Xrays or ultrasound might be helpful. Some cats vomit from an infection called Helicobacter. The treatment for that is a long course of antibiotics (metronidazole and amoxicillin), and famotidine. Let me know what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you were able to see the answer I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Connie doing?