Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Tabby (Female) 4-5 yrs old, Over 2015 has been vomiting

Customer Question

My Tabby (Female) 4-5 yrs old, Over 2015 has been vomiting regularly. We changed her diet to Royal Canin hypo allergenic biscuits. Despite this she still can't keep it down. On top of that over the last 2 months has lost a lot of fur. What is wrong with her? Blood test were normal the next thing they wanted to do was scan, which could still prove inconclusive.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear about Mia's vomiting and fur loss. The coat and skin are the first parts to suffer when a cat's health is poor. The body uses available nutrients to support brain and organ health and as such we may see a pretty poor coat with chronic illnesses.Chronic vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, internal organ failure, hyperthyroidism, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.I am glad to see that she's had some testing done. I would check with your veterinarian to make sure that those tests included a heartworm test, as vomiting is strangely one of the most common signs of heartworm disease in cats. I would also check to make sure a specific blood test for pancreatitis has been done, a fel spec PL (feline specific pancreatic lipase). This test is highly specific for pancreatitis in cats. Have her thryroid hormone levels have been checked?If those tests have been done or are done and come back normal the next step is an abdominal ultrasound and/or either exploratory surgery or endoscopy to gather biopsies of her gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or cancer, in particular lymphoma. I suspect that they are recommending an ultrasound when they say a "scan". It's true that it may not be diagnostic, but if they see abnormalities they can collect ultrasound guided aspirates or a biopsy and get a diagnosis. In the meantime you can ask your veterinarian to prescribe an acid reducer to see if that helps. You can give either:1)Pepcid ac (famotodine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilogram cat every 12 to 24 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilogram cat every 24 hours.These are quite safe and can be used as needed.We can also prescribe an antinausea drug like Cerenia (maropitant) to help decrease her vomiting.I see that you have tried some diet changes but they may not have been restrictive enough. So I'll make some recommendations. You could also try feeding a canned only sensitive diet such as Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN. If you've tried these sensitive stomach diets then perhaps a hypoallergenic diet such as Hills z/d rather than the Royal Canin she is eating now.I am sorry that Mia is so unwell but I hope I've given you some guidance on where to go next.Please let me know if you have any further questions.