Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Cat very thin he still eats food but very thin and lose of

cat very thin he still eats food but very thin and lose of fure
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 3- Is he thin to the point where he is bony? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about4weeks no vomiting coughing no diarrhea yes bony noexisting medical conditions
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is he drinking more than usual? 2- Is he eating the same as he did before he started losing weight? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no drinkin same eating same but smaller amounts more often no other symtons
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Besides losing fur are you seeing any abnormality in the skin like: Redness, crusty, sores, etc.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I am not set up to make a live call at this moment, I am sorry. But, I will be glad to answer your question on this thread. Please me know if you would like to continue here or do you want me to opt out so another expert can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes please carry on
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
OK great, can you tell me if besides losing fur are you seeing any abnormality in the skin like: Redness, crusty, sores, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
skin were fur is lost white under sktn
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when we see weight loss in a mature cat despite normal food it is usually not a nutritional problem but instead a symptom of an underlying medical disorder. There are many different possible causes. A very common cause is an over active thyroid (hyperthyroidism), sometimes cats will even eat more. Having an increase in thyroid hormone levels increases the metabolism causing the weight loss. Other possible causes are: liver or kidney disease, diabetes and even cancer to name a few causes. The loss of fur is secondary to any of the above mentioned diseases. In this case, on history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. Your cat will need to have a blood test (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test by your family veterinarian. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!