Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My elderly cat (27) has been prescribed Loxicom for

Hello, my elderly cat (27) has been prescribed Loxicom for arthritis to be given every day, most days he seems to be happy and pain free without taking the drug, is it really necessary to give him the treatment every day or would it be okay only when he obviously become a little uncomfortable?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Actually, it can be used both ways. If we have patients with chronic discomfort, then we do use it daily. Still, if Blacky manages well most days, then we can just use it as and when we need to. Of course, just to note, he needs to be eating and have no signs of GI upset if we were using it.
Otherwise, if his signs are mild generally, then you could alternatively consider OTC nutrient supportive care for his daily joint management if you aren't already. Specifically, you can supplement him with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin.
In regards ***** ***** fish oils, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And this could just help soothe any joint inflammation and be a long term management option with his arthritis.
Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin with your lad. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs and this could be all he needs at this stage. Normally we give kitties 50mg glucosamine + 15mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration here.
Overall, if Blacky has more good days then stiff ones; then you can just use the Loxicom as needed to help him on those rough days.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )