Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had a bite on the back of his neck from another cat

My cat had a bite on the back of his neck from another cat and he has made it bigger by scratching so now when it scabs over he scratches the scab off again we have tried a few things but he still scratches the scab off.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What have you tried specifically?
How long has this been an ongoing issue?
Is there any sign of infection or abscess from the bite?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had antibiotics tried drying powders, jel.
hes had it for about 6 weeks,
Its a clean wound.
Just as soon as it scabs he scratches it off
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now this isn't an uncommon situation. Cats don't think like us and appreciate that they need to avoid removing scabs to let their skin heal. Instead, they respond to the pull and irritation around the scab and thus scratch it off. And this often leads to them being caught in a vicious circle with a non-healing wound like this.
Now its great to hear that its clean and that we don't have an infection playing a role here. Since we don't, the main approach here needs to be aimed at blocking his access to the site. Of course, this depends on how low/high the lesion is. Sometimes we can use e-collars to block access, but other times we need to use baby tshirts (if its low) or even a light gauze wrap to act as a buffer against his self trauma. Furthermore, we will often make sure those hind claws are clipped short to reduce his ability to pull this off. Or for some cats we may even use nail covers (ie Soft Paws) or baby socks to again reduce the damage he can do.
Finally, for persistent cats, I would note that we do on rare occasion need to treat these situations with long acting injectable steroids. These can be of help because they reduce the irritation/inflammation that triggers him to itch. So, if we try the above but he still manages to get to this area before it heals; that would be another point of call to consider so that we can break this itch/scratch cycle and get that skin fully healed.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )