Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We have a 14 year old cat who has survived Calici virus. She

We have a 14 year old cat who has survived Calici virus. She currently has no symptoms. However for years she really suffered and went through considerable treatment including teeth extraction and several courses of interferon. She seemed to spontaneously go into 'remission' some years back. If we get another cat, is she likely to have symptoms again if stressed and would she transmit the virus to the new kitten do you think?
Thanks,
Kathryn
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards ***** ***** question, the potential for recurrence or viral spread to a new kitten completely depends on Lulu. This is because unlike some of the other feline viruses (ie FIV, FeLV, herpes), Calicivirus isn't always a life long infecting virus. Some cats will be chronically infected but others will eventually clear the virus. So, it is quite possible that should actually be Calicivirus free at this stage. Of course, there is also a risk that if a new kitten came in with this virus (or a different strain since it is very prone to mutation) that she could again end up with issues from it.
Therefore, with this all in mind, the best step before getting any new cats would be to test Lulu. If she has the virus still, then there is a risk of spread or recurrence that we'd have to consider. But if her immune system has managed to clear the virus, then you could consider introducing a Calicivirus free kitten into the house if you wished to do so.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )