Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Florence, normally always hungry, stopped eating about last

Florence, normally always hungry, stopped eating about last Wednesday. Her behaviour began to change and she took to hiding herself away and not 'talking'. She looks for any hotspot and seems to want heat. She comes out of hiding when we put the fire on. By Friday she was vomiting, either froth or yellow bile. We have not noticed her going out to do her business, but have seen nothing of it around the house. We took her to the vet, suspecting a stuck hairball. The vet said she'd never seen a stuck hairball and considers it 'a patients' diagnosis'. Florence is a short-hair tabby put produces lots of fluff and usually coughs it up with the help of grass. The vet gave her subcutaneous rehydration and anti-nausea jab, took her bloods and said she'd probably sort herself out. The blood tests were negative. It's now Monday. Florence neither eats nor drinks, her coat looks terrible and she is clearly very ill. Could you advise what to do? We fear a return to the vet will lead to further (expensive) tests, but as yet no one has looked in her mouth or examined her throat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor Florence!
Now all the initial signs you reported are common in cats that feel unwell. They are instinctually driven to withdraw and hide when they cannot pretend all is well (since not doing so would make them a target for predation). So, Florence is telling us that she feels very poorly.
In regards ***** ***** she isn't giving you a lot to go on. Since she has had some vomiting and is off food, nausea is a reasonable suspect. You are correct that dental disease or oral ulcers (from kidney disease or herpes) could also be a trigger here. Though we'd not expect the vomiting if it were.
So, we'd want to make sure her mouth is checked (which should be part of the exam) but need to think further about nausea causes for her. In regards ***** ***** could trigger that, it is something that can be caused by a wide range of agents. This includes GI infections, pancreatitis, IBD, and even cancer. We can also see these signs linked to dietary indiscretion, but at her age we'd not assume this was to blame. Furthermore, if the vet has done a full blood panel, they have hopefully ruled out metabolic diseases (secondary to diabetes or thyroid issues) and organ troubles (kidney, liver),
As well, just to note, if she hasn't perked up the with the oil/butter, then you have ruled out hairballs for her.
Now I appreciate your concerns about costs but her situation is tricky. If she hasn't responded to their treatment, her vet either needs to treat her further or we'd need to consider further testing like ultrasound to look at the organs and determine the cause for this. And I have to note with so many days having passed already, we really need to be proactive. Especially because anorexic cats can develop secondary liver issues that can make it harder to get them well again.
With all this in mind, if you aren't keen to have her rechecked and potentially ultrasounded; then you would want to ring her vet about dispensing treatment for you to continue. They should be fine to send home an oral anti-nausea treatment +/- an appetite stimulant.
If she hasn't been sick since Friday, then we also need to start syringe feeding her. We can use a calorie rich diet like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or even canned kitten food. As well, there are also liquid diets like Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet or Catsure. All of these are nutrient dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And these could just help get some more calories in even if we can’t get a huge amount into her.
As well, if she isn't drinking, then her vet can dispense an electrolyte additive for water (ie Lectaid) that you can use to keep her hydrated. In regards ***** ***** daily needs, she will need 48ml per kilogram of her weight given daily. Of course, we need to spread that through the day and discontinue if we see any more vomiting.
Overall, I am quite concerned about Florence. Her failure to respond to treatment suggests something more serious afoot and really we'd need to think about ultrasound for her. Though if that isn't an option, then we really need her vet to dispense further treatment and start syringe feeding to see if we can get her through this and back to eating before she wastes away on us.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** That was very clear and helpful. We're going to go back to the vet and make an appointment with the senior practitioner. It was very helpful that you stressed the need to be proactive now. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
I do think that is best for wee Florence. And hopefully we can just get to the root of this, so we can address this and get her feeling back to normal.
Best wishes to you both,
Dr. B.
** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.