Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 7year old female ginger cat has started to vomit her food

my 7year old female ginger cat has started to vomit her food usually undigested she seems ok in herself but is wowing more than usual she has been wormed but rarely goes outside
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Malibu has been vomiting - I can give you some thoughts on what might be going on. If Malibu is vomiting more than once a week or so, the most important thing to do now would be to schedule a veterinary visit for your kitty so that the vet can do an physical exam and discuss running blood work. Vomiting can be a sign of "whole body" diseases like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, or cancer, so it's important to get her checked out. Chronic (long standing) vomiting in kitties is a very common complaint. If bloodwork and physical exam findings are all normal, the very first thing that I consider with chronic vomiting kitties is dietary sensitivity. I suggest that vomiting kitties avoid all things fish and seafood - these are common food allergy triggers. Some cats also do better on canned than dry food, as dry foods have been shown in research to contribute to inflammation in the gut and vomiting. Food sensitivities can cause vomiting at any time of the day, not just immediately after eating, because they inflame the whole GI tract for long periods of time - not just right after they eat. My favorite over the counter foods for vomiting kitties are Natural Balance's Limited Ingredient Diets (they have multiple flavors) or Nature's Variety's Instinct diets.I usually perform both blood work and a broad spectrum deworming (like Profender or a course of fenbendazole) at the first visit with my vomiting kitties and recommend a diet change, followed by a recheck exam in about a month as long as they stay stable. If they aren't doing better at that point, I may recommend a prescription cat food like Royal Canin's Hypoallergenic Select Protein diets to further investigate for dietary sensitivity or suggest an X-ray and/or abdominal ultrasound. If the blood work was all normal, then I'm suspicious that we may have inflammatory bowel disease, which can be tricky to diagnose without biopsies. In a young cat or a cat with severe signs, I do recommend getting intestinal and/or stomach biopsies, and possibly run some tests to check pancreatic function. In an older cat I might discuss a trial of prednisone with the owner. Prednisone treats for IBD and it's usually quite effective, but it is usually a long term maintenance medication and can have some undesirable side effects such as predisposing the kitty to becoming diabetic. The choice on whether or not to begin prednisone is one that is individual to each cat, client, and situation. If they respond well to prednisone but relapse and start vomiting after we wean off the pred, I'll sometimes also consider trying a drug called budesonide. Budesonide is a steroid that is not absorbed as much through the intestinal tract into the blood stream but can have local anti-inflammatory effects and help keep the vomiting under control.I sure hope that this info helps - please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you - we can continue to chat until I've covered them all!~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.