Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

What is the treatment cat who has urinary tract disease

What is the treatment for a cat who has urinary tract disease and now has kidney disease.? He is on the cd diet and is a very sensitive and stress cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Billy.I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know how a vet would treat my cat who has both urinary tract disease and kidney disease - stage tbc currently in vets on fluids
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This is a good question and something I happy to discuss with you. Sometimes this is a difficult conversation to have, as well, simply because your options are somewhat limited. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This is a pretty complicated situation. If you'd rather we have a phone conversation, I am available for that. Please let me know. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The simplest explanation I can give is that treatment for kidney disease doesn't really conflict with or interfere with urinary tract disease. The goal of urinary tract disease prevention is controlling the urine pH so you cat is less likely to develop crystals. Treating for kidney disease does not have to alter the urine pH.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I apologize.... I didn't get an alert when you requested the phone call. Awaiting your call now.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Oh, sorry!!! I didn't see you are in the UK. I'm afraid I cannot call. My apologies. We'll have to continue via chat. I'm so sorry.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Unless you would like to call me, but I'm in the US.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'll do my best to keep providing you with the information you are looking for via this format...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Treatment for kidney disease centers around doing things to ease the job of the kidneys and then addressing secondary symptoms of kidney failure like dehydration and GI upset and ulcerations. That's done using fluid therapy and an assortment of medications. None of those predispose a cat to developing urinary tract disease symptoms. I'm wondering if your question is about diets... as in, your cat was put on a special diet to prevent urinary tract disease, and now does he need a different diet for his kidney disease?If that's the case, you can rest assured the kidney diets will not increase his chances for urinary tract disease problems. They won't. The most important thing to be done is maximize fluid intake, and that's helpful for both diseases.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This is a good article that describes the basics of kidney disease in cats. It's important to recognize that our attempts are treatment are palliative at best. We're not fixing the problem. Time will march on the kidneys will continue to wear out. Our goal is to delay the progression of symptoms for as long as possible. And NONE of the things we do to accomplish that increase the likelihood of urinary tract disease symptoms. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=572